Skip to main content

We are making genuine efforts to correct our lapses as a nation - President Buhari


          Read the press statement from Femi Adeshina below...


President Muhammadu Buhari has assured that lapses that have characterized Nigeria as a nation would be corrected. Receiving a team led by Dr. Seth Berkley, Chief Executive Officer of Gavi and The Global Fund in State House, Abuja, on Thursday, President Buhari said he was impressed with the patience and steadfastness of leading supporters of health care in Nigeria, "despite our shortcomings as a nation."

"We are making genuine efforts to correct the lapses. We are very serious about people behaving themselves, and being accountable," the President said. "We thank you for deciding to re-engage with us, despite our inefficiencies. You decided to be here, not minding our shortcomings. There are other countries that would bring less problems. We appreciate your commitment, and we will do our best to put ourselves in the best shape to help us," President Buhari said.
Dr Berkley, who noted that the three focal points of the Buhari administration; security, economic development, and anti-corruption were critical to the future of Nigeria, had raised issues over the way donor funds for health care were utilized in the past. He said Gavi and the Global Fund were disappointed when forensic audit revealed systemic weaknesses and corruption in the utilization of funds given in the past, adding that there is now a "breath of fresh air" under President Buhari’s leadership and fight against corruption and they were willing to "close the books of the past, and look into future support." Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole, who was also at the event, disclosed that those indicted in the audit of the donor funds in the past, which was done between 2010 and 2015, had already been questioned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), and would be arraigned in court soon.
FEMI ADESINA Special Adviser to the President



Join our BBM channel for instant updates : C0030863D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alert: Naira Gains A Massive 5% Against the Dollar

The exchange rate rebounded on Friday to close at N308 at the official interbank market. The local currency gained about 5.2% reversing the N325 it closed with on Thursday. According to reports, the gains was mostly due to a sale of forex by the Central Bank of Nigeria providing enough liquidity to meet the demand currently in the market. The naira has closed at an all time low of N364 to the dollar on Thursday following a surge in demand. The central bank has been selling dollars almost daily to boost liquidity and support the naira. Join our BBM channel for instant updates : C0030863D

Collapsed banks in Ghana recovered only $142 million out of $2 billion loans, Bank of Ghana Governor reveals.

The Governor of the Bank of Ghana, Dr Ernest Addison says out of the $2 billion (GHS10.1 billion) worth of loans taken by the receivers of some nine banks which collapsed in the country, only $142 million (GHS731 million) has been received. The Governor of the Bank of Ghana (BoG), Dr Ernest Addison The nine banks were UT Bank, Capital Bank, Sovereign, Unibank, Construction Bank, The Royal Bank, Heritage Bank, Premium Bank and Beige Bank. According to him, the receivership process has been painstakingly slow with other loan defaulters and shareholders of the defunct banks engaging in frivolous legal cases to sabotage the process. “The process has progressed slowly as out of the total loans of $2 billion (GH¢10.1 billion) taken over by the Receivers, total recoveries so far is in excess of $142 million (GH₵ 731 million) and this has been achieved through loan repayments by customers; repayment of placements; sale of vehicles; liquidation of bonds; and from...

How OPEC Agreed A 1.2Mbpd Production Cut

After months of wheeling and dealing, the member nations of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) have finally agreed an average drop in production level of 1.2 million barrels per day, effective January. The agreement exempted Nigeria and Libya, but gave Iraq its first quotas since the 1990s, Bloomberg reports. Iran seems to be the greatest winner, as OPEC agreed for the country to raise output to about 3.8 million barrels a day as the country sought special treatment as it recovers from sanctions. However, Iraq OPEC’s second-largest producer, agreed to cut by 210,000 barrels a day from October levels despite its previous push for special consideration based on the urgency of its offensive against Islamic State. Saudi Arabia, which raised oil production to a record this year, will reduce output by 486,000 barrels a day to 10.058 million a day. The United Arab Emirates and Kuwait will reduce output by 139,000 barrels a day and 131,000 a day while ...